International Students Thrive at SDSU’s American Language Institute

Students at SDSU’s American Language Institute enjoy being on campus for a variety of reasons.

From the teachers at ALI to the lifestyle of San Diego to the activities available, there are plenty of ways to keep students happy during their stay in San Diego.

Natalia Mityushina

Natalia Mityushina

Natalia Mityushina from Russia has taken classes in ALI’s Intensive English for Communication (IEC), International Business English (IBE), and Social Entrepreneurship (SE) programs.

“I’ve met a lot of great people here,” she said. “The ALI has great instructors who have helped me a lot. I like the atmosphere. The teachers don’t only talk, they listen to what students have to say. ALI attracts wonderful, enthusiastic, and hard-working students who want to communicate as much as possible in school and out of school. It’s a fantastic learning community, where I want to study and work in the future. I’m lucky to be here.”

Hiroki Matsunaga

Hiroki Matsunaga

Hiroki Matsunaga came from Japan to study in the IEC program because he wanted to improve his English in order to become an airline pilot. He attributes his progress toward his goal to the teachers at the ALI.

“They are very kind,” he said. “When I have a question, the teachers will tell me what something means. They all answer me. I like it.”

The weather also appeals to Matsunaga.

“In Japan, the summers are very hot and the winters are very cold,” he said. “It’s very nice in San Diego. The weather is not hot or cold, it’s medium. It’s also a lot less dangerous here than in other American cities.”

Oleksandr Iakovenko

Oleksandr Iakovenko

Oleksandr Iakovenko, a native of Ukraine, enrolled in the ALI’s Pre-MBA and Pre-Master’s program with hopes of one day obtaining his business MBA.

“The university here is very nice, especially the campus and the teachers,” he said. “The teachers are the best feature of the program; they are great. Everyone here is really kind and willing to help students.”

Yanying Toto Deng

Yanying “Toto” Deng

Students also discover there are plenty of activities through the ALI. Chinese native Yanying “Toto” Deng came to improve her English through the IEC and IBE programs. Little did she know she would stay longer than planned to help improve other people’s lives by taking part in the first Social Entrepreneurship (SE) class at ALI, which focuses on creating businesses that solve social problems.

“We were like a family at the ALI,” she said. “We did a lot of things together. We went to lunch, dinner, hung out together, and traveled to Las Vegas.

“I really liked San Diego,” she added. “I felt very comfortable. I was able to have a more open personality in San Diego. The people were really friendly.”

Sofia Gonzalez

Sofia Gonzalez

Sofia Rodriguez of Mexico came to the ALI hoping to improve her English speaking skills and expand her vocabulary through IEC and IBE. Not only did she improve her skills, she also found the SDSU community to be welcoming.

“I liked a lot of things about San Diego State,” she said. “But I think the best thing about it were all of the activities available on campus.”

In addition, Rodriguez found the San Diego community to her liking.

“San Diego is an awesome place,” she said. “Everything is nice … the weather, the people, the beaches. You can hang out with your family or friends. There are many interesting places to visit where you will have fun.”

Fadi Sassine

Fadi Sassine

Fadi Sassine from Lebanon came to ALI at age 37 to improve his digital and internet skills through the IBE program.

“I like the entire family of SDSU,” he said. “You can go to the pool, watch kids play basketball, play football (soccer), or go to the gymnasium. It’s not only an educational institution, it’s a lifestyle.”